Mandate / Philosophy
DIRECTIONS believes in supporting citizens with disabilities, through support of its member agencies. Further, DIRECTIONS will adhere strongly to our values in pursuit of our Mission.
Stewardship and Accountability
- DIRECTIONS will maintain integrity, honesty and accountability in all situations.
- DIRECTIONS is a responsible organization and is accountable to its members and all stakeholders for its actions and decisions.
- DIRECTIONS will always strive to make best possible use of all of its resources.
Respect and Integrity
- DIRECTIONS values relationships based on mutual trust and respect, and compassion.
- DIRECTIONS will pursue integrity in all its relations.
- DIRECTIONS will treat members in a dignified, respectful manner and promote mutual respect among member agencies.
- DIRECTIONS respects the generosity of its member agencies, sharing resources and information for the benefit of all.
- All member agencies have an equal and democratic voice in the function of the council.
- DIRECTIONS values open communication among members, and the sharing of information.
- DIRECTIONS supports an active learning environment in all its activities, addressing professionalism, current issues and a strengthening of its member agencies.
Leadership and Best Practice
- DIRECTIONS is responsible for knowing the issues relevant to member agencies and will provide effective leadership on behalf of its members in promoting best practices, professionalism, quality of service and partnering in the community.
Philosophy of Quality
Respect for People – Dedication to Clients
Our overall commitment to quality improvement cannot be sustained without a genuine respect for all people: but our motivation comes from the desire to serve people with disabilities – our clients. We believe in the uniqueness & contribution of all people and the rights and responsibilities of full citizenship. Everything we do relative to quality and quality improvement aligns with these core beliefs. These beliefs are the source of our vision and commitment to our clients. Normalization and social role valorization, empowerment, independence, individualized services, personal goals, and life long learning are realities we actively pursue in interactions with clients. Clients have experiences with us that support their success in everyday life. We provide exposure to diverse people, opportunities and settings. Interactions with others are an important component of all opportunities provided.
Quality Organizations, Independent Members of our Communities
Our organizations are created from within and connected to our communities. We evolve with local needs, we do work that’s meaningful and that provides a vehicle for clients to reach their goals. We balance the running of a sustainable business with meeting the needs of our clients. We won’t compromise meeting client needs to meet business needs. Business revenues help preserve our autonomy. Independence is required for meaningful partnerships. We are in touch with community and market changes that affect demand for, and expectations of, our products and services. We commit to the ongoing evaluation of program quality, not just staying current, but progressing and demonstrating leadership. We emphasize, and celebrate, client achievement. Through great product quality and fair market value we uphold the value of our clients in the eyes of our customers and our community.
In order for clients to be the best that they can be, staff must be the best that they can be. Our focus on staff training demonstrates the priority we attach to proficiency beyond minimum core competencies. Enhanced staff training helps professionalize our industry. We provide clean, safe and accessible buildings. Staff demonstrate and promote our client-centered philosophy, accepting responsibility for helping clients achieve their goals. Volunteers make rich and diverse contributions to governance and operations, influencing quality and reflecting the support of our community. Volunteers help shape community opinions about the value of our organizations and clients.
We are more successful when we collaborate with others. There is equality and fairness in all our activities. We strive for communication that facilitates mutual understanding and influences expectations amongst all who affect our clients’ quality of life. Clearly explaining who we are and what we do heightens awareness, and fosters support, in our communities. We are accountable for the quality of our service.